First off, thanks to Hendrik for his writeup which was most useful in putting this together. Secondly to the staff of Sun Microsystems Oracle, for providing an endless supply of drinks cans [covertly stolen from the recycling bins]. Hendrik makes the whole thing sound like a piece of piss, but I ripped numerous cans and had great difficulty in getting one can inside the other, in the end I settled for the tried and trusted British method of fudging it; cutting two short slits on the inner can to allow it to slide inside the outer. I also found masking tape and scissors were easier than trying to use a blade and book/block, particularly if trying to get a clean cut.

Anyway, at 10g it’s the first step to a lighter cooking system, my current setup [MSR Pocket Rocket/Titan Titanium Kettle/Gas/Ti Spoon/Firesteel/Blah/Blah/Blah] comes in at 482g. Given my winter pack weight is totally ridiculous and I have limited funds to throw at the problem [I say that, but will anyway], I thought this might be a cheap/effective way to tackle it. Next up, some sort of home-made Caldera Clone type setup. I’ve not given myself a target weight yet, but there will need to be a healthy saving to make me switch from gas. PhilT has just posted on this very topic, so there is something to aim for right there…

Advertisements